Angier+Fox, Celebrating Rural America & beyond
back to collection

Chew Kee historic Chinese herb store, Fiddletown (31 images)

Add to Cart View Slideshow Download All
twitterlinkedinfacebook
View: 100 | All
Chew Kee Store (Chinese herb store) once owned by Chinese doctor Chew Kee during the California Gold Rush about 1855. It is an example of a rammed-earth building, similar to adobe, but the walls are not of mud brick. Chew Kee returned to China about 1922 and he deeded the store to Fong Chow Yow, his adopted son. Know locally as Jimmy Chow, he took care of the store until his death in 1965 The store was rebuilt in the early 1980s. This intact store complete with herbs and products of the late...
more »